Sunday, June 18, 2006

Common Misconceptions in Friendships

I try to be a forgiving person. In fact I believe that I forgive people to a fault. It's gotten me in a lot of trouble and caused me nothing but pain, yet I will still give someone every chance in the world to be a friend to me.

It has lately become blaringly obvious to me that people don't change. They may mis-represent themselves when you first meet them, but they never change who they are at the core.

A few of my friends are going through this learning experience right now. They have re-friended (is that a word) people whom they have previously un-friended. These people are now learning why they let go of the friendships in the first place. If you stop being someones friend because they constantly hurt your feelings or because they are self-centered and inconsiderate, why in the world do you think that will change if you start hanging out with them again? I think it comes down to not being honest with the person as to why you are no longer going to hang out with them. People just think you are being a b*#th if you don't answer their calls anymore, especially people who are self-centered. They don't ever think that *they* did something wrong and that's why you don't want to be their friend anymore. And then you also have the friends that think if you don't call them back within 5 mins of them calling you that they've done something wrong. This can be equally annoying and yet another reason to un-friend.

I think this is very prevalent in female friendships. In all my years of friend-dom (boy I am really coming up with some words tonight) I've never seen such catty and selfish people that I've encountered in the last year or two. It's almost like I'm attracting them!

I consider myself and upfront and honest person. I tell people what I think of them and I expect others to do that with me. I've always said that I can't correct a problem unless I know there is one. I encourage all of my friends to carry this philosophy into their other relationships. Some take my advice and some don't. I think that this also makes me people afraid of me. For some reason my willingness to have people confront me makes them not want to.

This really isn't what this blog started out about but I got carried away.

But the moral of the story is, if there is someone in your life that isn't making you happy get rid of them! It's your life, make the most of it. Don't spend your life upset and hurt all the time because a so called 'friend' of yours is constantly treating you like crap. Let them go be miserable by themselves.

No comments: