Thursday, August 02, 2007

I'm getting to old for this...

So I've come to the conclusion that Eric may actually be right about something. As much as it pains me to say it, I think he has the right idea about friendships and people in general. You see Eric has no close friends. It isn't really due to lack of people asking him to do things or whatnot. I used to think it was because he is a douche and no one wants him around. But having been with him two years now, I've noticed that guys at work are constantly trying to get him to do things with them. They ask him to play golf, go to races, all kinds of stuff. But he just blows them off. I realize why now.

You can't count on anyone. Ever. All you have in this life is yourself and if you put yourself out there then you will get hurt. It is a fact. When you make every effort to invite people into your world all you get in return is $250 worth of food and liquor that will never get eaten or drank, you learn to just let people go. When you spend hours thinking of clever things to name drinks for your so called 'friends' and they don't have the decency to call you and let you know they can't make it...you learn to dismiss them.

I have recently discovered that there are only a few 'true' people in this world. Only a very slight group that will do what they say and say what they mean. Those people are the people you want in your life. It is also important to note that those people happen to also be my age or close to it.

You see, I've been living my life like I'm still a kid. I've been trying to compete with the 20 year olds and trying to befriend them. I've recently come to the conclusion that I have more in common with their parents then them. Although I'm still in college, I need to realize that I'm not a kid. I'm an adult in a childs world and need to act accordingly. I keep trying to recreate the 'good old days' and well, they were just that, the old days.

I never thought that turning 30 would catapult me into some sort of life changing mindset. But now I know, I'm an adult and should surround myself with like minded people. My goals no longer consist of where I'm going out this weekend or how am I getting home after. They are much deeper and much more grounded in reality. You come to discover that it's not who can drink the most or who can be the loudest drunk, but who will be there when the dust settles that matters.

I'm grateful to have the few true friends that I've got. To the rest of you, I hope one day you find your peace and grow up.

No comments: