Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Scared, Confused and otherwise freakin' the heck out!



I went to my first day of training today for my new job. I've been out of the restaurant business for the last year doing the make-up thing so its very exciting to get back into what I do best. I've been in some form of the service industry for the last 14 years and if there is one thing that I know I'm good at its this.

That having said, I'm now terrified. I get like this anytime I start a new restaurant job though. Except Tripps for some reason and I think that was because I was with Pam (my roomate at the time). This restaurant is starting out to be a Village Tavern clone.
For those of you not from the area VT is the big dog in fine dining. Us in the industry know that they set the standard by which other restaurants follow. If you can make it at VT you and make anywhere. They have always scared me a bit. All but one of the managers are from Village Tavern and one of the owners was VP of operations for them, so naturally they would display several of their standards. The sad thing is, they are kinda stealing their menu too.

The main reason I'm scared is because there are too many things taking place at once and I'm having a hard time keeping up. I'm in school and I'm trying to pass menu tests and its all just getting a little hinky. Too many things are overlapping. I'm a perfectionist so not knowing menu items the first time I'm asked in some stupid game at training today is flipping me out. I want to shine. I need to shine. My anxiety is starting to show and I feel panicy. I can't let that happen at this job.

You see not only is this a new job, its a new and only opportunity to make friends. I have lived in this area for only 3 months and I've have no friends. I am a social person and being out here in the country with no one to bond with is seriously taking a toll on me. I need that interaction and I don't want to come across as a weirdo or I won't make friends at work. All this is stressing me to the max. Luckily I have a meeting with my psychiatrist on Thursday and will hopefully get medicated so that I can cope with all this better.

I just need you all to route for me so that I can make it through this training period. I truely believe in the power of positive thinking and I need some good vibes to come my way in a major way. As sad as it may sound, my blog friends are all I have as a support group right now. I love my computer because all of my friends live in it.

8 comments:

Billy said...

Girlfriend, please. You are one HOT mamma!! You are not only going to kill them with your brains and wit, but also with your beauty. Watch out VT, Jade has just entered the building!

On a more serious note, just try to find a balance. We will be rooting for you all the way.

I do find it hard to believe that you haven't made any friends. But don't fault yourself, cuz' if the world can't handle good strong women, they can kiss that ass!

Jade Rocks said...

I haven't made friends in this area because I don't have anywhere to make them. I guess I could go door to door and meet the neighbors but they mostly are families and seem to keep to themselves. How do you go about making friends? I mean do you just say, 'hey will you be my friend?' That sounds a little pathetic though doesn't it? OH well, I guess I'll figure it out.

Karin's Korner said...

I know you will do a terrific job, do doubt in my mind. Now, if you will tell me where this restaurant is located maybe I can stop in and see you working sometime, My husband and I are good tippers ;)

Jade Rocks said...

AWW Karin! It's called Big Shotz Tavern and it's in Clemmons NC. (www.bigshotztavern.com) It's just off 421 at the Tanglewood exit. We don't open for a couple of weeks but I'm sure I'll have tons of stories about the opening and the stupidity that is the restaurant industry!

Parlancheq said...

Menu tests?? Yikes! I didn't know there was such a thing! But don't stress. You'll do fine!!

As for meeting people, there's always that cool guy in your computer class that you mentioned a few posts ago. :) No seriously, wouldn't school be another place to meet people?

Jade Rocks said...

I just started at this school a few weeks ago and again, I don't know how to go about making friends there either. Restaurant employees are social creatures and usually all get together after work in various watering holes thus forming friendships. It doesn't really work like that at school so I I'm not too sure of how to make friends there. Plus I'm not so sure that I want to be friends with stinky and loud mouth. The pickin's at a community college are rather slim.

Anonymous said...

scared. confused and cute.

the look on your face is pricesless!

Anonymous said...

scared. confused and cute.

the look on your face is pricesless!