Friday, September 01, 2006

Finally out of the abyss that is my workplace.

Today was my last day at The Snatcheral. (that is the not so affectionate term the girls that work there have dubbed it because the name of the place is I Natural.) I no longer have to drive an hour one way to work to make $8.50 an hour and have rich women treat me like the hired help. Not all of them act in that manner, but a good portion of the women that come there have a great deal of money and like to flaunt it. I was merely their link to the fashion trends in cosmetics and airbrush tanning and didn't warrant a more than a pityed look at my Target or Old Navy attire.

Its a shame I never wrote more about my salon adventures because there were some doozies! Maybe I will update ya'll with some back stories this weekend when I get done with my take home exam and studying for my test on Tuesday. If you have never worked in the beauty industry you are in for a hoot and a holler of a treat. Women are nuts and even more so in mass.

A quick one before I go...

I have very attractive hands. I no not have a picture of them or I would show you, but it is the one feature of mine that I am very proud of. I have very pink nail beds and long fingernails with extremely white tips. These are my natural nails and I do not have acrylic overlays or french polish. I only wear clear nail polish with proteins in them to strengthen them but no other polishes on my nails.

A woman came into the shop to purchase a something and noticed nails and asked what color I was wearing. This happens often so I gave her my standard answer that I was merely wearing clear polish and nothing else.

She looked at me like I had just slapped her and said, "I understand that but what color is under the clear?" Um, lady I just told you that I'm not wearing any.

So again I told her that I wasn't wearing any. And again with the slapped look. This time she got huffy and said, "Well if you don't want to tell me what polish you are wearing then all you have to do is say so." Helloooo NUTJOB!

"Mam I assure you that if I was wearing polish I would most definitely tell you what color it is because we work on commision and I would be more than happy to make a sale. But unfortunately for me and you, I'm not wearing nail polish. I would be happy to sell you clear nail polish if that is what you would like, but I am not, nor do I ever wear nail polish with color. I am just blessed with very healthy nails not to mention I work in a salon where I am surrounded by nail techs who constantly work on my nails when we are slow."

The lady then gets all riled up and says to me, "I get a manicure every week and my nails don't look like that!" duh, A: you don't get them done here and B: your fingers look like you regularly slam them in a car door and then bite the nails to the quick like its your full time job!

"Well next time you get your nails done ask your nail tech to just put clear on and see how you like it." I say with a pleasant smile on my face.

The lady stormed out of the shop and I never saw her again.
Thank God.

7 comments:

Billy said...

LOL...

Still laughin'! I'm about ready to fall out of the chair!

That snooty woman deserved what she got, the truth. How funny. People are so vain.

Jade Rocks said...

oh that is totally the just the tip of the iceburg in that place! I have many many more stories coming! Some of these women are wacko!

Anonymous said...

Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Geez, what a bitch! What is it about people that they get that deer-in-the-headlights look when you tell them the truth, and then they don't believe you! Maybe you should have smacked her, then she'd have a reason to have that I've-just-been-slapped look on her face.

Jade Rocks said...

wow...violence.

Anonymous said...

LOL!

I sometimes think my DH and I should have written about our encounters with some of our tenants while managing a townhouse complex. Its unbelieveable the way some people act at times. Fortunately most were lovely people.

Anonymous said...

what do you eat??

i think healthy nails means healthy body! you must be taking in good nutrients.


---M (from As if You Care)