Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Don't call me Hun!

I absolutely hate to be called Hun or sweetie. It just sounds so condesending to me. I'm in the the south so I'm used to honey but when when you shorten it to Hun I just want to smack someone. If you are going to talk down to me at least have the common courtesy to use the full word!

Sweetie is worse. Girls seem to use this a lot and I tend to think its a domination thing. Like, If I call her sweetie first then she knows I'm in charge. It really really grinds my gears. Usually the 'sweetie' comment is followed closely by a fake smile. Uggh.

3 comments:

Granny said...

I apologize in advance to those of you from the South, I'm not referring to all of you....but multiple renditions of "Yes, Maaaaa'yaaaam" in that syrupy drawl make my skin crawl. I don't mind it when people show deference to someone older than themselves, but when you're forced to ask several questions and you have to hear it drawn out like that every single time.....well, you get my drift :)

Parlancheq said...

I prefer hun to Ma'am. At least it doesn't make me feel old. ;)

Jade Rocks said...

I guess this just goes to show you we all have our preferences. I am completely appauled by the lack of disrespect shown by the youth of today in not using ma'am. But of course, I was raised a southern belle.